Thursday, December 4, 2008

One for the Ages!

What a wonderful Thanksgiving - it was a special day!

We loved having people at our house for Thanksgiving for the first time. It was fun finding places for everyone to sleep on Wednesday night!

We had Darell, Kathryn, Grandma, and Noni here. We got started with the food on Thursday morning, while the Macy's parade was on. Many games of Sequence Jr. were played.

We made considerable use of our two ovens, changing their temperature settings between dishes, and it seems that one got turned off while the turkey was cooking. Eric and Darell improvised by putting it on the grill, and it turned out delicious! Darell and Kathryn made most of the sides, as well as a scallop appetizer, a salmon dish, and a small version of Kathryn's family's traditional cheese course. Mashed sweet potatoes, green beans, brussels sprouts, zucchini, AMAZING gravy, just to name a few! So much cooking that one oven's heating coil died on Friday morning and had to be replaced!

Kathryn made an apple dessert, and Grandma and I tried out a new recipe: maple pear pie. Grandma made her pie crust, and I did the filling and oatmeal crumb topping. I think it's a keeper!

Before dinner, the girls read "Thanks for Thanksgiving" to us and we talked about what we are thankful for.

After dinner, the cleanup crew was busy while the kids watched the Kit Kittredge movie with Grandma and Noni. Tearjerker!

On Friday, Grandma and Noni took the kids to the movie theater to see "High School Musical 3." The girls' third time, Nick's second! A fun one. Later, we drove out to Redondo Beach to walk around the pier with Darell and Kathryn (couldn't pass by the arcade without going in!), getting some dinner, and visiting their apartment.

On Saturday, it was dance class and saying goodbye to our visitors. It was shorter than we would have liked, but it was truly a fantastic holiday weekend for us!


I have a few photos to share, but I admit it's kind of a disappointing number. I was too busy enjoying the days - I didn't think about taking pictures!

(Grandma made a special mid-day snack platter for the kids!)

(Darell had a very attentive audience while he was cooking. "This is better than the Food Network!")


(I captured the table before dinner - looking so nice - but then while we were eating, my brain became soaked in gravy and I forgot my own name, much less the fact that cameras had ever been invented)









On Monday, I took Turbo back to the Veterinary Dermatologist for the second injection of the antibiotic. Unfortunately, his paw was looking even worse, and we decided we needed to add another antibiotic as well as an ointment and a rinse, both with further antibacterial agents. And... the vet wants to make sure he doesn't chew at it and aggravate the tissue further:


He HATES this thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thank you again for hosting us. Poor little Turbo...sure hope they can figure out an antidote to the bacteria. I have to say though..he sure looks pretty cute, halo and all. Looking forward to being together again over Christmas in Portland.....can we hope for a little snow?? xxoo Noni

Anonymous said...

That was a most incredible Thanksgiving!!!! Thank you for posting the pictures, your table was so beautiful, the girls reading a story, and Darell doing the major cooking, it was a fabulous success. Thank you.

I had been wondering how Turbo was doing, thanks for the posting on him. Hope the bacteria starts responding to the antibiotics and control is in the near future. How much longer for the lampshade? Love to all, Grandma