Sunday, January 11, 2009

Getting up to speed

The drive home was easy, thank goodness. We split it into two days, including a chance to have dinner with friends. We didn't need chains for the drive home, although it did snow on us a bit. Pretty!

The Portland snow, the likes of which hadn't been seen in over 40 years, was pretty much completely melted by the 27th. It sure was tough getting up there, but we were glad we got to see it and play in it before it was gone!

We spent our time in Portland playing with family. Playing, my nephew's baptism, then playing, and more playing!

We drove home on Jan. 2 & 3. This means I had to watch the Rose Parade on television FOR THE THIRD YEAR IN A ROW. It's kind of lame of us to live here but be out of town during the Parade. Maybe next year I'll be able to see it in person again...

The first week back to school after vacation is always kind of a shock to the system. It's kind of a feat just to make it through. By Wednesday, I woke up exhausted and with a headache, and didn't improve until the weekend. I did manage to get Christmas packed up and put away. I'm not quite as happy with my pack-up job as I was last year, but after several re-arrangements, it's all in the bins... so all's well that ends well.

This weekend, the kids spent some of their Christmas money. They all got things that go with their Christmas gifts. Katie got a DS from Santa, so she bought herself a case and a game cartridge. Nick got a Leapster, so he chose a cartridge. And Julianna? Well, Julianna got an American Girl doll from Santa, so she decided to order an outfit for Kit.

I have seen a lot of kid-absorbed-in-handheld-electronic-game this week, especially this weekend! This coming week I may have to crack down.

Today we took the kids over to the golf course to practice on the putting green and the driving range. The Boy got clubs for his birthday from my MIL, so we had to go use them and enjoy the beautiful weather this weekend! Everyone shared the clubs and started working on these skills. I think it really warmed Daddy's heart to see them!

I'm trying to get invitations out for J's birthday party, but hopefully I'll be able to come up for air soon! She decided on a pajama party. We'll invite the girls from morning Kinder over for dinner and a movie ("Tinker Bell" would be a safe choice, I think!) on the Saturday before her birthday. The weekend after her birthday, Julianna is going to Big Bear with Daddy and the Indian Princess tribe!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I'm definitely worn out just reading all the activities there. I think a nap is in order. Loved hearing all the news and catch up on the shopping trips. Wish I could have seen the golfing too, sounds like it was a lot of fun. Thanks for the update. Love to all, G-Mom

Anonymous said...

I can certainly relate to trying to get back in the swing of things following a wonderful vacation! My brain works better these days at being Noni then being a Development Director! Glad the clubs are being broken in...you'll have a star on your hands in no time. Sounds like shopping trips were successful as well. Enjoy preparing for J's special day....her party sounds like fun! Miss you all. Love, Noni