Monday, May 11, 2009

Spring Break

In addition to egg coloring Saturday, Spring Break started off with my usual singing-in-church bonanza: Good Friday, Easter Vigil, and Easter morning.

Easter morning itself began very early: up at around 6:30, the kids had found their Easter baskets, opened everything, and finished the treasure hunt the Easter Bunny left for them, all by 7:13 am!

There was enough time for everyone to go to church (not just Mommy)! Later, Darell and Kathryn came over and we had a lovely meal (Darell brought lamb).


As to Spring Break, the main item on the agenda was "open-ended hanging-out time," which is SOOOO good for my kids. They do really well when we don't have to be anywhere!

I did take them to the zoo one day, and Katie went to a birthday sleepover. Shelby came to visit late afternoon Friday - noon Saturday (he and Annie captivated their audience).

That's Violet.


Thursday was the one "big" thing we did for Spring Break - Eric took the day off and we drove down to Legoland!

They have various American "cities" built out of Legos: New Orleans, Las Vegas, Manhattan, Southern California, etc. In Washington, D.C., they have replicated President Obama's Inauguration! It's fantastic. I took pictures:



Look at Aretha!

When we got home, I did some googling and found out that they actually built it shortly before the Inauguration. I found a picture of what it first looked like:



It's very interesting to me that they went back and redid it to reflect what everyone actually wore! Here's the updated version, also from google:



Other highlights of our visit to Legoland:

The Mission in Santa Barbara (I built a model of it in 4th grade, but I didn't build it out of Legos!) --- with Griffith Observatory in the background!


The Hollywood Bowl: we go there every summer!


San Francisco!



Nick liked Daytona Speedway:


Yep, kids get to drive at Legoland! No parents allowed!




This was really smart: while the parents wait in lines for the rides, the kids can play with Legos in special gated areas right off the line!



No comments: