This year, she wanted to do a dance with Julianna. When we found my trick top hat (given to me when I was a young teen by my dance teacher -- we don't know how old it is, and it is very special to me) at my parents' house this Christmas, the girls really wanted to come up with some way to use it in their dance.
We started working on the dance when Grandma was visiting us in March.
Katie wanted to dance to Harry Connick, Jr.'s "A Wink and a Smile" from the Sleepless in Seattle soundtrack, remembering when she and Grandma danced to it at Grandma's birthday party. Grandma and Katie listened to a bunch of song options, and Katie ended up going with her original idea.
We thought up a "story" for the dance, with Grandma's assistance. The story was:
Two girls are performing a dance. One is wearing a top hat. The other is jealous of it and steals it off her head during the dance. They continue doing their dance, and then the first girl steals it back. They dance some more, and then they have a tug-of-war over the hat. It falls to the ground, and they both scramble to grab it, falling on the floor on top if it, and it gets flattened! Oh no! They do a bit more of their dance, and then they try to figure out how to un-flatten it. All of a suddent, it pops up, back into shape! The girls are so happy that they decide to share it, holding it together and strolling off stage.
We quickly choreographed the steps, showed it to the organizers at the auditions, and then during the weeks leading up to the talent show, we practiced it nearly every night in the kitchen. Nick was very involved in the rehearsals, singing along with the music and helping me say "step, kick, step step ..." Noni came to visit us for a few days at the beginning of May, and she got to see the girls rehearsing.

While she was here, I also got started whipping together some costumes. My sewing skills leave much to be desired... I'm no Grandma. I make a lot of mistakes and have to go back and re-do things. (For example, Julianna's skirt was too long, so I shortened it. Then it was too short, and I had to go back and add fabric along the hem.) I do think they came out really cute, though!
I just love the talent show. The hall is packed for the performance, and the students in the audience cheer and applaud enthusiastically for every performer, no matter if it's their friend or not, no matter what grade they're in, no matter if they mess up on the piano and start over. Even the eighth graders! Especially the eighth graders! They're so supportive, and it makes me glad my kids go to school there.
The girls were the second-to-last act before Intermission. They were great! They had huge smiles on their faces (something they had trouble remembering to do in our practices). Everyone remarked that they looked like they were enjoying themselves up there. I know that they were SO nervous, especially Julianna. They did a terrific job, though!
3 comments:
Wonderful stories you've shared. Thanks for the postings. Love, Mom
Wow, I can't believe how many postings I have missed the last two weeks! I am administering an AP exam in my office to one student (Spanish Literature)so have time to actually catch up. Kind of nice to be forced into silence...no phones, no talk, no disruptions...what a treat. Can hardly wait to look at the videos when testing is done. The talent show, May Day,aquariam, lego land, Hoffman's, you have been busy beavers. Thanks for all the wonderful updates, loved every minute of them. Love to all, Noni
Oh my gosh, the talent show is the BEST!!!!!!! How cute are those girls? I can hardly wait till they're famous. :) Yay for the baby Noa post! We are so so so so so excited for you guys to meet her and I'm sure proud big sis Malia will be the one to introduce you to her "beebee no-eee". Ahhhh so sweet. :) Miss and love you guys and love reading up on what you all have been up to! XOXO Aunty Shan
Post a Comment