Eric and I went to the U2 Concert at the Rose Bowl. What an event! It was the biggest crowd ever at the Rose Bowl: 96,000 people. It was being broadcast live on YouTube, making more history. We love U2, and it was all happening in our beloved Pasadena!
Eric bought the tickets back in May (or March?), right when they went on sale, and we'd been looking forward to it with excitement ever since!
Darell and Kathryn babysat for us, and we headed out a few hours before show time so we could take the shuttle over from PCC. Once at the Rose Bowl, we got some dinner and walked over to our tunnel, which turned out to be right under the Rose Bowl sign, next to the Rose Bowl Hall of Fame. We checked out the history of the Rose Bowl games, making sure to find the Stanford plaques!
We had no trouble getting to our seats, but as show time neared, we heard stories of long lines at the tunnels (45 minute waits). We didn't leave our seats - we didn't want to risk getting stuck out there!
The Black Eyed Peas were the opening act, and they were great! So much energy. I've never been impressed by Fergie before, but she knocked my socks off when she sang "Sweet Child of Mine" with Slash. WOW.
What can be said about U2? Their music is very important to me. Listening to The Joshua Tree has gotten me through some tough times, particularly the first year of teaching, when I felt all alone in Pasadena and overwhelmed by teaching. While listening to that album, I realized that I could change my mindset and create a feeling of satisfaction for myself.
Without question U2 is the preeminent rock band for people my age. The music, the activism, the respect for the fans... the band does seem to be a force for good.
So, my thoughts... well, it was amazing. U2 really puts on a show for a Rose Bowl sized crowd. One of the very few stadium bands around right now! The lights, the technology, the sounds... Seeing a concert in a stadium is an experience -- when everyone cheers, and far more moving, when everyone is singing, it's quite a sound to hear and feel. When everyone holds up their cell phone lights, and you look out at those galaxies of stars, you really feel like you are part of something!!
On the other hand, a stadium is a big place, and for most people, the performers are very far away. Our seats were pretty close, but they were on the back side and the U2 guys didn't come around to us as often as we had hoped. Someone theorized it was because of the YouTube filming. I spent a lot of the concert wishing I was in the SRO General Admission area in front of the stage, where I could really see the musicians. I enjoy watching music being made, as well as hearing it. You can't really get that part of a concert when you're sitting in a stadium.
So on the whole I had some pluses and minuses, but I would not have wanted to miss being there, being a part of it all!
__________________________________________________________
And what, pray tell, was happening with Kathryn, Darell, and the kids back at home?
Gourd decorating, movie watching, and, apparently, picture taking!




Hmmm, it looks like they had fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment