Friday, November 6, 2009

Halloween!

Halloween almost always begins with a trip to the pumpkin patch. Unfortunately, I usually can't find a day to drive out to the pumpkin farm. Instead we tend to go to the pumpkin patch down on the corner, and each child seeks out the pumpkin with the size, shape, and stem he or she likes best.


The next Halloween events were at the kids' schools. The girls got all dressed up to participate in the parade!


"Gabriella" from High School Musical and "The Ghost of Betsy Ross" headed off to a fun day at school!


What fun costumes, huh? Miss Rogers didn't recognize Julianna in that wig, and lots of people loved the Betsy Ross idea.

Katie had wanted to wear the stars & stripes dress for Halloween, and her first idea was to be "Lady Liberty" or perhaps a "Liberty Fairy." Then when all of her friends decided they wanted to march in the "Scary" category in the parade, she told me she wanted to somehow make the "Liberty" dress into a scary costume. I suggested she could be "The Ghost of Betsy Ross," and we could do ghost makeup and make a tattered ghost-like shawl. I made her the white cap and put together the flag-sewing prop as well. I love it!

At Nick's school they have Orange & Black Day, with no costumes or candy but lots of orange and black pumpkin fun. They all get together and sing a few songs for the parents, which Eric got to see this year.


After spending most of the morning at Orange & Black Day (including reading the kids a story), I left before the song performance and went over to Holy Family for the parade.



Catherine was "Vampira."


Julianna marched in the "Fantasy" category.


Nick and Daddy got there sometime during the parade.


After the parade, Holy Family kids are dismissed. Daddy went back to work, and the kids and I went to Souplantation for lunch. Then we spent the rest of the afternoon making jack-o-lanterns.



Katie only needed a little help with the scooping and the drawing of the face of her pumpkin. She cut the pieces out and did all of the finishing touches - just wait until you see this jack-o-lantern a few pictures down from here!





Mommy did most (not all) of the cutting on Julianna and Nick's pumpkins. They each chose intricate patterns from our pattern books!




Julianna made this little jack-o-lantern completely by herself!


Julianna's jack-o-lanterns


Nick's jack-o-lantern, the headless horseman


Katie's jack-o-lantern



On October 31, we went to a Halloween party in the afternoon. Katie decided that she didn't want to wear her "Ghost of Betsy Ross" costume again. She had several reasons for this (none of which made much sense to me). Some of the things she told me were that she "freaked herself out," that "the makeup was itchy," and that she "didn't like not being herself."

It was suggested to her that perhaps she could just be regular Betsy Ross, but she decided to wear her prince costume from the Third Grade Literature Tea project.

I had decided a few weeks ago that this year, for the first time in a long time, I would wear a costume. I went as Snow White.

After Katie put on her prince costume, I realized that she and I were a good pair! It's kind of fun the way that all turned out!


Here are Gabriella, the Cowardly Lion (with his Courage medal), and the prince!




At the party, I took this shot of the kids, with Catherine & Emma, at the cupcake decorating/craft table.


While I was trick-or-treating in the Condits' neighborhood with the kids and the Condits, Eric was back at our house handing out candy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved all these pictures. Julianna's wig look is amazing, the ghost of Betsy Ross was awesome, I always loved the cowardly lion! And then to have Snowhite too and with her prince!!!

Pumpkins and ghords were great. Everyone did a great job.

Things are good here, we're back on line. Thanks for the beautiful pictures, loved seeing the cousins together. Love, Mom